Friday, February 5, 2016

Winning at Parenthood

     I have those moments where I think, damn I really got this parenting thing down. It's not so bad.  Then I hear Reagan throw her bottle down the floor vent, and all of that goes to shit. So basically that thought lasted about 5 seconds, and now I'm cleaning milk out of my duct, trying not to curse. Dammit usually slips out and is repeated several times, along with why. Why does my child do this? What makes her do these ridiculous things? That then causes me fear about the calls I'll be getting when she starts school. "Reagan spilled her juice on the floor and screamed dammit in front of the other kids". As any great parent would do, I will deny of any words being used like that in the household, and remind Reagan when she gets home that only mom can talk like that! By the way I googled what that was called, and duct came up. I don't know about you but I learned something today, and if Cody saw the google history he would completely make fun of me. PS he's a carpenter, I should know better.

     Here is how I know I'm winning at the end of they day. If I make it there.
  1. I still have a kid.
  2. I actually got to shower alone, in peace, without my child screaming like a wild banshee outside the door.
  3. I actually got a shower.
  4. During the meltdown in TjMaxx, I kept calm as if  I was Mother Teresa herself.  
  5. I walkout of TjMaxx without buying the Elsa doll I bribed her with during her meltdown.
  6. I only had to count to two
  7. The phrase "good decision" was used most frequently than "don't even". 
  8. When she handed me my empty wine glass, and said more.
  9. I got to drink my coffee, without it ending up on the floor, or finding pacifiers in the bottom of the mug.
  10. There is a pacifier actually in sight. 
  11. All of the wipes are still in the original container, instead of in her mouth.
  12. I still have hair, and a little bit of my sanity. Key word LITTLE.
     The fact that I'm still able to function at 9 o'clock is a damn miracle, but you know what? It's all worth it. I love that little girl more than life itself, and I honestly don't know where I'd be without her.  Despite what kind of absurd things I  deal with on the daily, I always find a way to make it work. Even if that means Reagan learns the work dammit a little sooner.  Anything that my day, or my child throws at me I'm always prepared, because I have coffee in my pot, and I know exactly where every wine store within a fifty mile radius is. Thanks Google maps, you do come in handy.




No comments:

Post a Comment